What is personal information? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Children: If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else, over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
We collect personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means. Anyone can navigate this website without giving us personal information.
We do use personal information to provide insurance quotes that we think you would expect when you are shopping for insurance. We collect personal contact information (for example, name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: request an insurance quote or other services; sign up for a newsletter or other email services; are an insurance broker or agent and have an account with us; or provide it to us when you click the submit button on our website forms. This information is used to fulfill your request, provide targeted advertising and respond to your inquiries and feedback.
- If you are a broker or agent, we retain your login ID and passwords so that upon request by you and receipt of identification we may remind you of them.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prize winners.
- We collect demographic information, as well as quote request history and a list of promotions offered to you (“history”), in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine eligibility for our products and services.
- We may also use demographic, personal contact and history information from time to time to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to goods or services you requested and which we provide. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- We keep notes and special instructions on file for insurance brokers and agents to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service. We may tape or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for quality assurance purposes.
- We may collect credit card information if you: are an insurance broker or agent. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you complain to any of our departments, we collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating and responding to you.
- If you are a service provider, we collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you. We may also collect financial information from service providers and from advertisers (for example, banking details and credit history) to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other information to help us evaluate your services.
Cookies and Advertising
If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration.
We may place advertising or other links on our sites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. We do not control these cookies, nor are we responsible for any marketing or other use of your name by these advertisers.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer the site.
We generally use your personal information for the purposes of: managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements. Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. Survey results are aggregated and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not disclose personal information. Other than as permitted or required by law, purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, which are not set out in this Privacy Code, will be set out at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any additional purposes no later than the time of collection.
Consent and opt-out policy
Personal information collected by 1800homeinsurance.com is used to provide an insurance quote or other services. Any information requested by the presentation of any form on our website will be clearly marked and no collection will take place unless you, not only fill in the form but also actively consent and successfully submit that form’s content to us.
In general, we seek consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, we obtain your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- Follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- Email 1800homeinsurance.com at email@example.com and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
Please allow a reasonable time (approximately 2-4 weeks) for processing of your request.
Generally, by providing us with your personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Code, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection. We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Safeguards: We maintain personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information. For example, when you provide personal information to us, we work to help protect the security of your information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
How to challenge our privacy practices
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns you have about your privacy or this Privacy Statement. If you have a question concerning our Privacy Statement, or if you have a complaint, please contact us.